Volunteering and Community Service Events
- Family, Career, and Community Leaders of American (FCCLA) - This is a Family and Consumer Sciences organization at the high school level. When their students visit EIU to compete and present projects, SAFCS members have been judges and provided feedback.
- Adopt-A-Family - With HOPE of East Central Illinois's Christmas program, SAFCS shops for, wraps, and delivers holiday gifts to a family in need. KONu has partnered with SAFCS during this event. (See "FCS Organizations" for more information about KONu.)
- Breast Cancer Awareness Fundraiser - SAFCS and KONu raised money for Relay-for-Life and raised awareness of breast cancer. Donators received pink ribbons safety-pinned in the classic loop.
- Relay-for-Life - SAFCS has raised money for this event at EIU, including a bake sale on top of individual donations.
- Pantherpalooza - This is the EIU fair for student organizations. Our members have been part of this event to let students know about SAFCS and recruit new members.
- The Volunteer Fair - This is another fair for student organizations (and community programs) to let students know about SAFCS and the volunteer activities we have done and plan to do.
- Each month, SAFCS holds meetings to discuss upcoming events, promote member involvement, complete activities, and hear guest speakers.
- Some meetings are purely social to get to know members, while others are more interactive with activities and guest speakers. Guest speakers have varied from on-campus faculty and staff to representatives of community organizations and businesses.
- SAFCS has held socials just for members, including movie nights.
- To see information on the next meetings and activities, view the SAFCS calendar.
- Each spring, SAFCS members have the opportunity to attend the Illinois Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (ILAFCS) Conference.
- SAFCS members have the opportunity to become leaders in the organization as student officers.