Student Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (SAFCS)
- Description: As a student chapter of both the American and Illinois Associations of Family and Consumer Sciences, the purpose of this organization is to develop interest, knowledge, and skills in Family and Consumer Sciences careers and related occupations. There are opportunities for leadership, responsibility, decision-making, and involvement at the local, state, and national levels. Membership is open to students enrolled in the Family and Consumer Sciences discipline as either a major or minor.
- Contact: email@example.com
- EIU Website: http://castle.eiu.edu/~safcs/
- Other Websites: http://www.aafcs.org/ or http://ilafcs.org/
Kappa Omicron Nu Honor Society (KONu)
- Description: KONu is the honor society for Family and Consumer Sciences undergraduate and graduate students where students are recognized for their academic excellence and leadership skills. An invitation is extended to students who have completed the required number of course hours and maintained at least the minimum GPA.
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: http://www.kon.org/
Club Managers Association of America (CMAA)
- Description: CMAA provides students with opportunities to explore behind-the-scenes activities and leadership in hospitality-related industries, such as clubs, hotels, restaurants, and convention centers. It promotes communication and education between professionals connected to club management and students interested in the profession to encourage efficient and successful club management practices. Membership is based on a major or minor in Family and Consumer Sciences with a concentration in hospitality.
- Contact: email@example.com
- Websites: http://www.cmaa.org/ or http://www.greaterchicagocmaa.org/
Professional Convention Management Association (PCMA)
- Description: Based on the event and meeting planning industry, PCMA is composed predominantly of planners, suppliers, and, of course, students. By offering a variety of educational meetings, networking opportunities, and community service projects, this student group serves to provide members and other industry colleagues with excellent events at which to network and serve the community. The Eastern Illinois University chapter of PCMA was awarded the Student Chapter of the Year Scholarship for 2009-2010.
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Websites: http://www.pcma.org/ or http://www.pcma.org/Chapters/Greater-Midwest.htm
Student Association for the Education of the Young Children (SAEYC)
- Description: As a student chapter for the National Association for the Education of Young Children, SAEYC works to serve and act on behalf of the needs and right of all young children, with a primary focus of the provision of educational services and resources.
- Contact: email@example.com
- EIU Website: http://www.io.eiu.edu/~saeyc/index.htm
- Other Websites: http://www.naeyc.org/ or http://www.illinoissaeyc.org/
Student Dietetic Association (SDA)
- Description: As an independent student group composed of nutrition/dietetic students, SDA strives to increase awareness of healthy eating behaviors and positive body image on campus by becoming peer educators, providing education, working health and nutrition events, and providing networking opportunities.
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- EIU Website: http://www.eiu.edu/famsci/studieteticassoc.php
- Other Websites: http://www.eatright.org/ or http://www.eatrightillinois.org/
Technical Association of the Graphic Arts (TAGA) / International Textile and Apparel Association (ITAA)
- Description: As professional and educational organizations related to the graphic arts and textile, apparel, and merchandising disciplines, TAGA and ITAA work to combine classroom learning with technologies in design and production, including graphic arts systems, software, computer technology, and press, ink, and paper engineering applications.
- Contact: email@example.com
- EIU Website: http://castle.eiu.edu/~eiu_taga/about.html
- Other Websites: http://www.printing.org/taga or http://www.itaaonline.org/
Gerontology Students Involved in Volunteer Efforts (G.I.V.E.)
- Description: Conceptualized to integrate the campus and its students with the community, particularly the older adult population, G.I.V.E.’s mission is to engage with older members of the community who were instrumental in building it. Its undergraduate and graduate students interested in the aging population strive to positively strengthen intergenerational interaction and alleviate ageism.
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- EIU Website: http://www.eiu.edu/ma_geron/current_give.php
- Other Website: http://www.sigmaphiomega.org/
WIM (Regional Conference for College Students in Family and Consumer Sciences)
- Description: The WIM Conference - comprised of Family and Consumer Sciences students in Wisconsin, Illinois, Iowa, Indiana, Kansas, Nebraska, and Michigan - allows attendees to network with professionals in their desired line of work while touring a variety of industries around Chicago.
- Contact: email@example.com
- Website: http://www.fontbonne.edu/academics/undergraduate/departments/humanenvironmentalsciences/wim/